Friday, September 07, 2007

Here We Go Again




Children have to be educated, but they have also to be left to educate themselves. ~Abbé Dimnet, Art of Thinking, 1928


Thus ends our first official week of the new school year. I have to say that it's been a good week and both of the children are very pleased with all that they accomplished this week.

As the years have gone by I've become pretty relaxed in our homeschooling. Too relaxed according to my son who this year actually WANTS me to "turn up the heat" on his requirements, assignments, etc. This hasn't been easy for me because it required alot more planning and research than I'm use to, but after only this week, I can see that my efforts are and will pay off.

There's alot to be said for a relaxed homeschool environment and I can't say that ANY of our time has been wasted in "laying back" on formal studying of certain areas, etc. But I also think that there's something to be said for a well planned, tough(er) schedule and requirements. For instance...

In years past I've been frustrated with my children sleeping in too late and then whining and complaining their way through their school day. Now, they have a plan book with my requirements in it and they don't have TIME to whine if they intend to stick to the plan.

Also, in former years we've struggled and fought over too much time spent in mindless pursuits like television watching and computer/video games. Thus far, we've had none of that and I think it's because their minds are engaged all day long and they are old enough now to see that tv and computer games are a waste of time and a waste of precious mental energy. What I'm saying is that now they have to be a bit more judicious in their pursuits, prioritizing them because they only have so many hours of free time in their day.

I don't want to squelch their inquisitiveness or desire for exploration, I just want to raise the bar so that they know what they're capable of.

So...one week down and thirty something to go!

2 comments:

ohiofarmgirl said...

Sounds like you had a great week. We too use a planner and it works like a charm. The only thing that worries me is when I think they are spending too much time doing schooling or they spend too much time doing chores and get a late start on their schooling for the day. All I know is it does seem to work itself out...and I sure do miss the oldest now that she is in college...wishing we had spent more time together and less on schooling....regrets.....Dianntha

Gumbo Lily said...

Hooray for your first week! Keep up the good work.

Jody